Monday, June 23, 2008

The trials of an office worker



Switching jobs is one of the more stressful things in life. Especially when you've made the change from a small company that has less the 30 employees to work for a company that has somewhere in the neighborhood of 40,000. Working for large company might be the worst decision I have ever made. The red tape, the massive amounts of people(most of which cannot speak a understandable sentence of English) and the horrible location of the actual building are just a few of the things that make this place unbearable.

I have been at my current job for almost a year now and it gets a little more painful each day. I arrive at my desk anytime between 8:20 to 9:15. Upon arrival I do what is usually the only socializing of my 8 hour day. My team mate who I have nicknamed Mountain Dew(for his collection of Mountain cans arranged on the edge of his desk) greets me with a "Good morning Jessica" and i reply with a cheerful "Hello".

I then open up my work email and then my personal gmail account, go grab a cup of tea, and begin putting off the checking of the Help Desk voice mail. Then I do all of the other Help Desk jobs that I acquired when "Hurley" the 500 pound Help Desk employee decided to make antisemitic remarks to a room full of coworkers. After I do an hour of work, that is well beneath me, I finally pick up the phone and listen to approx. 5 messages from pissed off docs and office workers.

After a few "I'm sorry but I cannot reset the password of someone elses account for you" and "Ok your password is now reset to your ID number" its time to either do some real work or enhance my knowledge of odd medical conditions on Wikipedia.

Around this time if my boss is in he will stop by and either asks me a question he's already asked on 20 previous occasions, or tell me about some great new idea he has had and makes me research if it can be done. So I send an email off to Shoba, my contact at the company who wrote our medical software, and go back to reading Wikipedia while waiting for her response.

Lunch time is the highlight of my day. At noon I go to refrigerator and grab my lunch, 2 paper towels and any utensils that are needed. Then I go back to my desk and eat alone while reading medical blogs.

The rest of the day drags by but if I'm lucky I need to get a refill of hot water at the same time as one of my more social coworkers and 5 minutes is killed with meaningless conversation.

Then I go home and drink myself to sleep, hoping that the next day never comes. Unless it's a Friday.

No comments: